Saturday, November 10, 2012

It's Fireplace Time

I was pretty proud of myself this evening. With it snowing today, I looked at the thermostat in the house and when I saw that it had dropped to almost 50 degrees I decided that I needed to start up the 'ol fireplace. Before Tom left he had stocked up our woodpile on the backporch, but I usually always leave this fire making duty to Tom. I know you're wondering why I'm such a woosy when it comes to firemaking. Well our house was oakie rigged. As you can see from the picture our flume goes straight out instead of up. So to get a fire going and sucessfully not smoke out the house (which I have done numerous times and then cried) you have to crack the window closest to the fireplace then have a fan on standby (a billow is just not enough). So I looked at my poor eskimo baby that I had bundled up and decided that it was my motherly duty to keep my child warm. I prayed and then set about chopping kindling and getting newspaper ready. I kept on it for about ten minutes and then lo and behold, I had this: FIRE! I prayed and told Jesus thank you, then I sat next to the baby and we marveled at how mom can actually make fires now, and we're both pretty warm!

The Farmer's Wife and maker of FIRE!

1 comment:

RoseofSharonStudio said...

Yea! You did it yourself! You are Woman, Hear you Roar! (An old Helen Reddy song from before your time :))